Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to change your water heater anode rod.
1 Turn off water and fuel supply (gas or electricity) to water heater.
2 Partially drain the water heater.
3 Locate the anode rod on the water heater; if necessary, unscrew and lift off the cover from the top of the heater.
4 Use a ratchet wrench and 1 1/16-inch deep socket to unscrew the anode rod from the heater.
5 If the anode rod won't budge, slip a steel pipe onto ratchet wrench handle for extra leverage.
6 Lift out and discard the old anode rod.
7 Wrap Teflon tape around threads of new anode rod; insert anode rod into water heater and tighten with 1 1/16-inch socket.
8 If limited space above the heater prevents the installation of a standard anode rod, install a collapsible type.
9 Turn on the water and fuel supply to the water heater.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades