Use this safe and easy technique next time you need to replace a shattered light bulb.
You Will Need
* Needle-nose pliers
* Work gloves
* Safety glasses
* Electrical tape (optional)
Working with electricity is dangerous. Be extremely careful and, if you have any doubts, contact a professional.
Step 1: Turn off electricity
Unplug a lamp from the wall plug. For a permanent fixture, shut off the circuit breaker.
Step 2: Insert pliers into fixture
Wearing your gloves and safety glasses, insert your needle-nose pliers into the rim of the light bulb.
For added friction, wrap electrical tape around the ends of your pliers.
Step 3: Unscrew bulb
Spread the pliers' handles apart so that the ends push out against the inner wall of the light bulb. Turn the pliers counter-clockwise to unscrew the bulb.
If you're having trouble extracting the bulb using the needle-nose pliers, try using a raw potato to unscrew the bulb.
Step 4: Discard bulb
Discard the broken bulb and screw in the new bulb firmly, but not forcefully.
Step 5: Turn on power
Turn the power back on or plug the fixture back into the wall, and let there be light!
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) use approximately 75% less energy than conventional incandescent bulbs.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades