Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to fix a bathtub drain stopper.
1. Remove the two screws holding the trip lever plate to the tub wall. Put screws in safe place, so they don't fall down the drain.
2. Grasp the trip lever plate and carefully pull out the brass waste-and-overflow linkage.
3. If the cylindrical brass plunger isn't attached to the end of the linkage, use a flexible retriever to reach down into the overflow hole and grab the plunger.
4 .Once you've retrieved the plunger, hook it back onto the end of the linkage rod and pinch it closed with pliers. Check to be sure the plunger can't slip off.
5. Loosen the locknut and rotate the plastic fitting to lengthen the linkage about 1/4 inch.
6. Tighten the locknut and slip the brass plunger and linkage back down the overflow hole.
7. Replace the screws in the overflow plate, and flip up the trip lever.
8. Fill the tub with a little water, shut the faucet, then check to see if the water stays in the tub. If it drains out, remove the overflow plate, lengthen the linkage a little bit more and reinstall it.
9. Lift up on the trip lever, add some water to the tub and check once again to see if the tub stopper is properly adjusted. Repeat this process as many times as necessary to obtain a watertight seal.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades