Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to install a solar attic fan.
1 In attic, mark location of solar-powered vent between two roof rafters.
2 Drive nail through center of vent location.
3 Install roof brackets and fall-arrest system to roof.
4 Scribe outline of vent's flashing on roof using homemade dowel compass.
5 Cut shingles along circular outline with a utility knife.
6 Pull nails and remove shingles from within the circle.
7 Use compass to scribe hole for vent onto roof sheathing.
8 Cut hole in roof with a reciprocating saw.
9 Remove shingles from around the vent opening.
10 Apply continuous bead of tri-polymer roofing cement around hole.
11 Set roof vent over hole, then screw the fan's flashing to roof.
12 Apply more caulking around flashing.
13 Replace all the roof shingles around the vent fan with 1 ½-inch roofing nails.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades