Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to install an automatic shut off valve for a water heater.
1 Turn off the water to the water heater.
2 Drain the water heater using an electric pump and garden hose.
3 Shut off the gas, then disconnect the gas line from the water heater.
4 Cut cold-water pipe leading to heater using a tubing cutter; repeat for hot-water pipe.
5 Disconnect flue from top of heater.
6 Lift heater, slide catch pan underneath, then set heater back down.
7 Reconnect gas line, after applying pipe dope to threads.
8 Screw the flue back onto heater.
9 Reconnect the hot-water pipe by soldering on a repair coupling.
10 Extend the overflow pipe with copper tubing down to catch pan.
11 Solder a copper union onto a threaded adapter; thread the adapter onto the automatic shut-off valve.
12 Solder a second threaded adapter onto the cold-water pipe.
13 Use tubing cutter to cut away enough cold-water pipe to install the shut-off valve.
14 Install shut-off valve to the cold-water pipe.
15 Plug sensor into valve; place float in water pan.
16 Turn the gas and water back on.
17 Test the valve by turning on the heater and manually raising the float valve; the heater should automatically shut off.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades