1. Turn off water and power to water heater.
2. Use garden hose to drain water from heater's tank.
3. Cut copper pipe just above the corroded connection using a tubing cutter.
4. Use two pipe wrenches to loosen the old union.
5. Remove the old union from the steel pipe.
6. Wrap threads on end of the steel pipe with Teflon tape.
7. Install the lower half of the dielectric union to steel pipe; tighten first with pliers, then with pipe wrench.
8. Solder coupling and small length of pipe to end of existing copper water pipe.
9. Remove the rubber gasket from dielectric union.
10. Solder top half of union to copper pipe.
11. Allow union to cool, then replace the rubber gasket.
12. Use wrench to tighten together the two halves of the union.
13. Turn power and water back on, and check for leaks.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades